April 30, 2012

Orly Summer 2012 Feel The Vibe Collection Swatches!

Happy Monday! Hope you all had a good weekend, I did! I bought a car this weekend! I test drove a Mini Cooper a couple months ago and was told I'd have to custom order it. Since then I've been saving for the deposit and finally went in to order my car yesterday! I sat down with the guy I did the test drive with and we built the car I wanted and wouldn't you know, the exact car I want is on a boat on it's way over. Talk about amazing timing! I put down half the deposit and now I'm waiting to take delivery on it in about 3 weeks. I am SO excited! I'm getting the Cooper Hardtop in Ice Blue with a White roof...they were saying I'd have to order it because I wanted it with an automatic transmission and their mini connected & navigation and I guess that's a rarity in Mini Cooper land. My mission now: find nail polish that matches the color of the car, I'm thinking China Glaze Sea Spray might be close. Expect a post of that when I get the car in mid May!

Onto actual nail polish things today I have Orly's awesome summer collection for this year called Feel The Vibe. I've been waiting for this since I first heard they were doing neons. Good news, the neons are awesome...like it actually hurt my eyes to look directly at my nails while I was outside taking some of these photos! You know a neon is good when you risk being blind if you stare at it for too long.

To see full swatches for each shade click the read more button below. I suggest putting on some sunglasses first haha!

After Party is a black with tons of pink, purple and blue shimmer. This is kind of the oddball in the collection but it is so pretty! I was worried this might be like my bottle of China Glaze Smoke and Ashes where it looks amazing in the bottle then falls flat on the nail but nope, what you see in the bottle is what you get on the nail. The formula was nice, a little thick but easy to apply. I used 2 coats for the photos below. It did dry a bit dull so I used a top coat for the photos!

Blah, slight blurry shade photo...hopefully you get the idea of how great this was in the shade even though I couldn't get my camera to focus on it
Shade

Beach Cruiser is a highlighter pink neon! This one is like a brighter version of Essie Lights from the Poppy-Razzi collection. I much prefer this one, it was SO bright! The formula was great, it's nice and opaque so you don't need to layer it over a white to get the neon to be bright! I used 2 coats of Beach Cruiser on it's own for the photos below. It does dry to a satin matte (most neon's do!), I used a top coat for the photos below.

This was even brighter in real life!

Shade

Dayglow is a bright white with a flash of blue shimmer. Once I realized there was a blue flash I crossed my fingers that it translated on to the nail. I can see it in my photos a tiny tiny bit but in person the blue flash was invisible to my eyes :( I didn't much care for the formula on this, it went on without streaks but it was thick and on the gloopy side. Hopefully it's something thinner will fix since it was hard to apply. I used 2 coats of Dayglow for the photos below, it also dried a bit matte so I used a top coat for the photos below.

Shade

Glowstick is a neon yellow! This might be the most neon neon that ever neoned haha! I was legit blinded by my nails when I took photos of this. This yellow does seem to lean a little to green, at least it seemed like that the longer I stared at it...I'm wondering if it actually does have green in it or if that was just happening because of staring at it lol!

You can get Glowstick opaque on it's own but the formula was a bit troublesome that way. I needed 4 coats to get it opaque and it was still a little patchy (you can't see it in the photos but I could in person) If you get this one I suggest layering it over white. Not only will it be brighter that way but it will save you the hassle of putting on a ton of layers and it wasn't streaky or patchy looking that way.

For the photos below I used 1 coat of Glowstick over Dayglow on my middle finger. On the other 3 fingers I have 4 coats of Glowstick on it's own. You could definitely tell a difference between them in person. This did dry satin matte, I used a top coat for the photos below. As bright as this looks in the pictures it was brighter in real life!

Shade

Melt Your Popsicle is a neon orange! This sucker was so neon none of my cameras couldn't even handle it in the sun! I do think this is probably very close to Wham! Pow! from Color Club but I haven't put them side by side. This one looked like it was going to be on the thin side like Glowstick so I decided to put 1 coat over white on all my nails for the photos below!  I did use a top coat for these photos!

The first photo below is in the shade, yep...it's that bright in the shade! The second is my attempt at taking a photo of it in the sun, if cameras could have seizures I'm pretty sure mine would have had one trying to take a photo of this polish haha!

Shade

Sun

Skinny Dip is a bright blue with a flash of purple shimmer! This one is very bright but definitely not neon like I was hoping it would be. The purple shimmer doesn't really translate onto the nail looking purple unfortunately. This is very pretty and definitely a favorite even though it's not what I expected. The formula was nice, a little sheer but it didn't need underwear. I used 3 coats for the photos below! It also dried satin matte, I did use a top coat for the photos below.

Shade
Overall, I love love love this collection. If you like neons you need Glowstick and Melt Your Popsicle in your life. I also loved After Party, not sure I'll ever wear it during the summer but I'll be grabbing for it a bunch in the fall! The only one I'd probably say pass on is Dayglow, there are so many other white polishes out there that are much better...if the blue flash translated onto the nail better I'd like it a lot more than I do.

The Feel The Vibe Collection is available now! I've seen it out at Ulta and Sally Beauty Supply already! You can also get it online I know I've seen it on head2toebeauty.com and I'm sure it's probably available on Amazon also!

108 comments:

1. love after party, but i'm on the fence about the rest. i'd want dayglow if the blue shimmer was visible

ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new car!! How exciting!! I'm looking forward to seeing that post/colour comparison.

As for the Orly polishes I love the first one!! And I love Skinny Dip too. I see what you mean about how fluro they are, very nice!!

ReplyDelete
  3. They're really bright and fun...white seems to be getting more popularity, reminds me of white out :/

ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the neons!!!! And the first one looks a little like Butter London Black Night

ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh but After Party is way too tempting. I can't get it though, I've recently bought far too many dark base/bright glitter polishes (heck, just got my hands on Fowl Play yesterday!) so I'm not going to indulge... at least not until my next paycheck :3

ReplyDelete
  6. Orly always puts out a great neon orange for the beach.

ReplyDelete
  7. I just grabbed Glowstick, Skinny Dip, After Party, and Beach Cruiser on Friday. The yellow is like "day-um! I'm neon!" Can't wait to wear these babies :-)

8. I like orange! XoXo

ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Glowsticks is so neon! The whole collection looks fantastic!

ReplyDelete
  10. these colours are beautiful!

11. Le Coin Beauté de SolèneApril 30, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Melt Your Popsicle is my favorite!!!

ReplyDelete
  12. I just bought a new car and wore a perfectly matching polish to the dealership to pick it up!! =)  My Ford Fiest matches Wet N Wild Chrome I Got A New Com-Pewter perfectly!!

ReplyDelete
  13. Your swatches are gorgeous! I wish I could get my pics to turn out like this!

14. IheartprettypolishApril 30, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Wow, beautiful!  And I googled a pic of your new car and those are soooo cute! I just didn't know what they were called.  So fun!

ReplyDelete
  15. I can't decide if I should get the neons or not. I keep staring at them... The neon fad seems to fade in and out pretty quick. I really do like the Melt Your Popsicle!

ReplyDelete
  16. i need my sunglasses for this post! i love them :)

ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE neons! I wonder how Melt Your Popsicle compares to CG Japanese Koi.

ReplyDelete
  18. Oh very pretty!  How does After Party compare to say, Butter London's The Black Knight?  I was thinking about grabbing that yesterday but didn't because I'm a cheapskate- this looks sort of similar to what I've seen.  I have a lot of neons, and I just picked up 2 from Claire's the other day (more pastel neons, if that's possible) and I have the full Color Club Electrocandy neons... plus some assorted pinks.  I don't have a bright traffic cone orange, tho... I had been debating about grabbing CG's Sunworshipper but maybe I'll get this instead.

ReplyDelete
  19. I've been curious how Beach Cruiser compares to Orly "Va Va Voom" & how Glowstick compares to Essie "Funky Limelight"?  I love neons but can't decide whether to get these or not since I already have VVV & FL!

ReplyDelete
  20. These colours are gorgeous! I NEED the neons.
    Mini Cooper Land is the UK - we don't really have automatic cars over here, we all drive manuals (yeah, we're retro), which is why you had to special order it.

ReplyDelete
  21. That's what the sales guy was saying too, he said that when they do get automatics they are usually the ones that are fully loaded with all the fancy stuff instead of just 1 fancy thing like I wanted lol!

ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have the Essie but I'll pull out Va Va Voom and see how they look next to each other when I'm back at home later today!

ReplyDelete
  23.  It's similar-ish. If anything I would say After Party is a better version of The Black Knight. It's much more opaque and the shimmer is much more dense. It's also cheaper and the bottle is bigger. The only real difference is that After Party is shimmer and The Black Knight is glitter.

ReplyDelete
  24.  lol! Glad you like em!!

ReplyDelete
  25. It seems like they are always in here but I think it's because I live in Southern California and it's pretty much always summer lol! Melt Your Popsicle is awesome!

ReplyDelete
  26.  Aren't they adorable? I love how Mini Coopers look!

ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you!! I just take a million pictures until they come out good, I figure the odds are in my favor for 3 being good if I take like 100 lol!

ReplyDelete
  28. What an awesome color! I need to go back to the dealership and get a photo of a car on the lot in the color I'm getting so I can get to  hunting down the perfect polish lol

ReplyDelete
  29.  It's great isn't it?!? Glad you like it too!

30.  I agree! :)

ReplyDelete
  31.  lol it is, I legit looked like highlighter on my cotton round when I took it off. It's amazing!

32.  Glad you like it!

ReplyDelete
  33.  LMAO I can totally imagine Glowstick saying that if nail polish could talk hahaha

ReplyDelete
  34.  they do! It's perfection for the beach!

ReplyDelete
  35.  you sound like me, except I have no self control and talk myself into getting it right now lol!

ReplyDelete
  36.  It's very similar to The Black Knight!

ReplyDelete
  37.  I agree with you there, Dayglow is definitely on the white out spectrum of what we've seen coming out. I prefer the more wearable whites other brands have done lately

38.  Thank you!!

Glad you like the polishes, Skinny Dip is such a beauty!

ReplyDelete
  39.  Dayglow would have been SO awesome if the blue had come out more. If you can I'd definitely try to see the collection in person, it's so much better in real life versus in photos!

ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome!  Thanks!  Congrats on the car btw!  :)

41. Nice colors...will def have to get the pink, orange, and blue ones

ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely swatches, but I only really like the black shade. Somehow I just don't feel neons!

ReplyDelete
  43. Wow!This is quite unusual summer collection. I am surprised that after party is included in this collection, it doesn't look summery but it's gorgeous! Is it similar to Butter London Black Knight?

ReplyDelete
  44. These are SO awesome! I hope I can find them when Sally Beauty does their huge clearance.

ReplyDelete
  45. Ahhh I wish I saw this 5 minutes sooner! I was in Sally's, saw these...picked up After Party and was debating between Beach Cruiser and the white, and I chose the white. Wish I chose the pink! I walked out of the store, checked my email on the way to the car, and saw your post! :)

ReplyDelete
  46. Yeah..... WOW.  These are amazing!!!!

ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks so much for the swatches. I've been looking all over the net for someone to swatch these. I wonder if Glowsticke is a dupe for CG Celtic Sun?

ReplyDelete
  48. I almost grabbed After Party last week. I kinda regret not getting it!

ReplyDelete
  49. awesome! Glad you like them!

ReplyDelete
  50.  After Party is pretty awesome, you'll love it!

ReplyDelete
  51.  I agree, that was my thoughts about it too. It's similar-ish, it's shimmer where The Black Knight is glitter but it's a good alternative. I actually like After Party better!

52.  *fingers crossed*!!

ReplyDelete
  53.  aww bummer! I hope you have better luck than I did with Dayglow!

ReplyDelete
  54.  That's what I like to hear! Glad you like them :)

ReplyDelete
  55. woohoo! I wish I had that China Glaze so I could tell you if they were close but I don't own Celtic Sun :(

ReplyDelete
  56. :( Hopefully you can still grab it next time you see it, it's so beautiful on!

ReplyDelete
  57. Yes I definitely need those.
    Thanks :-D

ReplyDelete
  58. i love neons and after party looks awesome. is there any way you can do a comparison between after party and butter london black knight? they look similar and black knight is always sold out at my ulta. would be great to get something similar for cheaper, too.

59. My word these are gorgeous and your nails are great!  Thanks for sharing x

60. Love it!! I love that blue!! :D

ReplyDelete
  61. I just bought Melt Your Popsicle, Beach Cruiser and Glowstick and did a quick swatch comparison with some colors I already owned. Glowstick is the an exact match for the neon yellow that Nina Ultra Pro puts out (which you can find at Sally's). I do like Orly's formula better, however. Beach Cruiser is sort of similar to CG Pink Voltage, but Pink Voltage is a touch lighter and has fine shimmer. And then I compared Melt Your Popsicle to CG Japanese Koi. They are definitely different enough to justify owning both. MYP is lighter and a touch brighter.

ReplyDelete
  62. Pink white and blue! I like :)

63. OMG! the yellow looks SO bright :D

ReplyDelete
  64.  :) Hope you love the ones you get!

ReplyDelete
  65. It's definitely on my list to do I just didn't have time to get to it this weekend! The finish is a bit different (shimmer vs. glitter) but I think they are very similar! Look for the comparison soon!

66.  Thank you!! ♥

ReplyDelete
  67.  It's beautiful! Glad you like it too!

ReplyDelete
  68.  Sweet, thank you for letting me know!  I feel like I need Japanese Koi now lol

69.  Glad you like them!

ReplyDelete
  70. It is! It's eye searing, It was hard to look directly at my nails when I was wearing it out in the sun LOL

71. thenailpolishconnectionApril 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I've bought Melt your popsicle and glowstick like two month ago. They're so pretty but I really don't have a good skin color for neon. But they're still really nice to use for nail art.

ReplyDelete
  72. Thanks Ashley! I am eyeing these up BUT I do have Misa 6 pack summer and OPI A Roll in the Hague and Misa Sandals, Flip Flops and Hip Hop and Zoya Lola so I'm dithering about more of the same colours :$ But NEONS!!!! I'm off to check ebay lol............. (bad girl)

ReplyDelete
  73. I CANNOT wait for this to come out!!! I love "After Party" (perfect for a night out!!) and "Skinny Dip" (such an awesome summer color!)  Thanks for beautiful swatches! (oh, and I actually squinted when I got to the yellow and orange ones LOL  so bright!!)
    Congrats on your new car!

ReplyDelete
  74. Great swatches, thank you!! After Party and Beach Cruiser are the ones I like the most!

75. Jeanie Midnight ManicuresApril 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I love your descriptions!  I could hear you saying them in my head...I was waiting for comment bubbles to pop up at anytime!  :)  Good job, I'm having the hardest time photographing some of the spring/summer colors this year with all the neons out.

ReplyDelete
  76. Well these look awesome but I was hoping for some more opaque neons in my life...I had high hopes for Glowstick and Melt Your Popiscle. Guess I'll just stick to the neons I got!

ReplyDelete
  77. Awesome summer colors! Melt Your Popsicle hurts my eyes, and I like it! Thanks for swatching!

ReplyDelete
  78. haha, you definitely do!! One of my fav polishes.

ReplyDelete
  79. I am into the neons for summer this year - got out all my CG neons from 2010 Poolside collection and just today saw bottle shots of the new 2012 neon collection from CG - I did skip over the Essie - played with them in the store (surprised we even had them) but they did not seem right formula wise or bright enough.

80. Pony LauricellaMay 1, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Oh, my. Beach cruiser and Glowstick are fantastic. *adds to wish list*

ReplyDelete
  81. after party looks like the edgy darker sister of out of this world, love skinny dip!

82. Helena Lacky CornerMay 1, 2012 at 3:54 AM

I love Orly polishes and a these looks amazing.

ReplyDelete
  83. Must have Melt Your Popsicle. Must.

84. Ameerah MuhammadMay 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Love Dayglow and Glowstick- and you could definitley see the difference with Dayglow used as a basecoat.

ReplyDelete
  85. How do you get your nails so perfect?? I'm an amateur and am always getting it on my skin or smudging it :(

Replies
    1. I'd like to know the answer to this, too. All of your polishes seem to go on sooooo smoothly. Its amazing.

86. AllThingsNails!May 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Thanks so much for comping Pure Porcelain w/ Dysfunction! I own PP and RV so I won't be running out to buy these now.

87. Courtney EldridgeMay 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I saw these at Sally's the other day and immediately wanted Glowstick and Melt Your Popsicle, BUT I decided to wait for swatches. So thank you, I'm now going back immediately to purchase them. ;)

ReplyDelete
  88. Good to know!  I'm glad I didn't buy it then... and I actually prefer shimmer to glitter in polishes like that (mostly because I have 5 million glitter topcoats and polishes, so I'd always feel like it was something I could recreate easily).

ReplyDelete
  89. I use an angled eyeliner brush and acetone to clean up around my cuticles if I get any polish where I don't want it! I'm planning to do a video on it my computer just hasn't been co-operating with me so I can edit it!

ReplyDelete
  90.  yay! Glad you like them!

91.  Happy to help!!

ReplyDelete
  92.  A Mini Cooper!!! My ideal one would be bright yellow or some sort of sickening pink. Yes, I've put thought into this.

I'm definitely interested in After Party and Beach Cruiser (love the names). They'd make a good mani/pedi pair.

ReplyDelete
  93. Congrats on your MINI! I have two, and they are awesome.

ReplyDelete
  94. Congrats on your MINI!!! I also have Ice Blue with a white roof (and bonnet stripes!). I, too, have made it my mission to find a matching nail polish - so far the closest I have found is MAC Hyperion. I am anxious to see if (err, more like WHEN!) you come up with a better match :) Ice Blue is a *little* greener than you might expect...

ReplyDelete
  95. Do you think Beach Cruiser is a good dupe for Essie's Pink Parka?

ReplyDelete
  96. I really wish I knew where to find Orly in Canada...
    must find these neons!!!

ReplyDelete
  97. I don't own Pink Parka...I'm not sure how similar they are, sorry!

ReplyDelete
  98.  Shopper's Drug Mart has started selling them! OR go to www.nailpolishcanada.com - I think they carry the line as well :)

ReplyDelete
  99. How close is Beach Cruiser to Fancy Fuchsia? coz to me they look pretty similar... Thanks! xoxo

ReplyDelete
  100. I wish I could pull both out to compare them but unfortunately I no longer own Fancy Fuschia so I'm not sure how similar they are in real life.

101. Jennifer NeufieldJune 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM

if you have a sally beauty supply store, they will sell them :-)

ReplyDelete
  102. The Orly site suggests layering the neons over the black to "deepen" the shades. Have you tried that? Did it actually mellow/deepen them or make a muddy mess?

ReplyDelete
  103. Congrats on your MINI!!! I also have Ice Blue with a white roof (and bonnet stripes!). I, too, have made it my mission to find a matching nail polish - so far the closest I have found is MAC Hyperion. I am anxious to see if (err, more like WHEN!) you come up with a better match :) Ice Blue is a *little* greener than you might expect...

ReplyDelete
  104. I almost grabbed After Party last week. I kinda regret not getting it!

ReplyDelete
  105. I was in the mood for neon traffic cone orange on my toes, so I picked up Melt Your Popsicle in Ulta when I picked up my ButterLondon BOGO. I'm in love with this neon orange!

ReplyDelete
  106. OMG! *lips tremble* these reminds me of being in first grade and wearing slap bracelets in the '90s and watching Keith Haring animations on Nickelodeon! do these glow in the dark?

ReplyDelete
  107. they don't but I'd bet some of them will glow under blacklight!

ReplyDelete

Please make sure you are commenting in DISQUS. If you can see this message you aren't which means I cannot reply to any questions you have.

Please do not leave links to your blog in my comments. If you would like me to check out your blog please email me using the contact button in the sidebar.