May 2, 2012

Orly Dark Shadows Collection Swatches!

Morning! Today I have Orly's Dark Shadow Collection to show you guys! This collection is coming out in conjunction with the move Dark Shadows which is in theaters on May 11th. I love me some Tim Burton and Johnny Depp but I'm actually not very excited about the movie...it does nothing for me based on the commercials I've seen for it. I'm sure I'll see it anyway haha!

I've been waiting for this collection to come out and when I finally found it at my local beauty supply I was like "that's it" when I saw them in person. I went back and forth with myself about buying all 4, finally the hoarder in me won out and I decided to buy all 4 instead of just the brown one. Check out swatches and a couple comparisons for this collection by clicking the Read More button after the collage photo below!

Buried Alive is a shimmery dark brown.  This is the only one I was ohh-ing and awe-ing over in the store, it's beautiful on the nail also! If you like brown polishes this is a really nice one! The formula was ok, a bit thick but it was easy to apply. I used 2 coats for the photos below!

Shade

Decades of Dysfunction is a creamy off white. Love this color, which is not surprising since I also loved it when Orly released it last Spring under the name Pure Porcelain. The formula was great, 2 easy coats for full opacity!

Shade

Here is Decades of Dysfunction vs. Pure Porcelain. They are exactly the same...color wise and formula wise.

Grave Mistake is a dark red. I was hoping this would be more a darker blood red shade...after all Dark Shadows is a vampire movie. I do like it but it's nothing we haven't seen a thousand times already. The formula was great, I used 2 for the photos below.

Shade
 Mysterious Curse is a dark bluple with very strong blue shimmer. Look familiar? It's pretty much a dead on dupe for another shade Orly gave us last Spring called Royal Velvet. The formula was okay, a little on the thick side and it started getting a bit goopy and hard to worth with on the second coat...probably nothing a little thinner couldn't fix though. I used 2 coats for the photos below.

Shade
 Here is Mysterious Curse  vs Royal Velvet. In the bottle it looked like Mysterious Curse might be a little bit less shimmery but on the nail I couldn't tell them apart. I do however much prefer the formula Royal Velvet has, it's not nearly as thick which made it easier to apply.

Overall this collection is big snooze and a huge disappointment for me. Other than Buried Alive I'm not thrilled. I hate when brands do a movie tie in collection that has so much potential and then we get something like this...2 re-promotes, a been done a bazillion red and a nice brown. I dunno, what do you guys think? Do you like the collection, will you be picking any of these up?

Orly's Dark Shadows Collection is out now! I've seen it locally at Sally Beauty Supply already and online on Head2ToeBeauty.com.

77 comments:

1. Well I saw Royal Velvet ehhhmmm...  Mysterious Curse and I was like: Why the hell they repromote Royal Velvet? oO Then I scrolled a bit and saw you had the "same" thoughts and took comparision pics :D

Well i see a diffrence but its not worth buying because theyre so similar. At least for me its not worth spending the money on a dupe (an for godsake.. its the same company xD)^^

I wont pick up any polish cause I already have Royal Velvet... i have tons of reds in this shade.. i dont like creme white shades soo much and well... i dont have many browns but i already have very similiar shades..

So I'm totally fine skipping this collection :D

ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, pretty! I'd love to see how Buried Alive compares to China Glaze Midtown Magic. They look kind of similar to me.

3. despite your swatches, those colours don't really excite me... :(

ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always gutted when this type of thing happens. Maybe in a collection of 6 one re-promote is okay but 2/4? Nah. The brown one is pretty but not something I'd buy, especially as full-size Orly is so expensive in the UK, ditto for the red. What a shame! x

ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for doing the comparisons side by side.  I love your blog.

ReplyDelete
  6. I'm disappointed. 2 re-promotes? Why? The only one I maybe could buy is Buried Alive but I'm not totally thrilled. Great swatches, though. :)

ReplyDelete
  7. Boring for sure. I passed on them when I seen them in sally's.

ReplyDelete
  8. It's a very boring collection.

ReplyDelete
  9. It's a very boring collection. I had to pass on these.

ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you here. Pretty shades (and beautiful swatches) but booooooooringgg! I'll pass on these. Still going to watch the movie though.:)

ReplyDelete
  11. That's so disappointing, I hate re-releases under a new name!

I'll be picking up Royal Velvet soon, and MAYBE the red one, since I like that shade!
    The real stand out in this collection is the brown, it looks great on You!

ReplyDelete
  12. I immediately thought of Royal Velvet when I saw Mysterious Curse. It's weird that they'd release *two* dupes in one collection! I'd love to get Buried Alive though :D

Also, was this entry up a while back and taken down? I saw a link to this post ~9 hours ago but when I clicked on it it disappeared.

ReplyDelete
  13. None of the colors really speak to me. And I do think it's annoying to create a collection around a movie and then just put out colors you've already done. What's the point?

ReplyDelete
  14. that is why I love your reviews!!!!!!!!! love love the comps and they are right on!!!!

ReplyDelete
  15. I feel the same as you- this could have had so much potential!! Shizz, I can't believe that 2 of them are basically the same as 2 other recent ones.  Kinda lame, Orly!  Buried Alive is clearly the winner...it reminds me of root beer :)

16. Shoshana BermanMay 2, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I was anticipating this collection as well.......but very disappointed when I saw them in person at Sally Bty.  Buried Alive was in my hand, then it was back on the shelf, then it was in my hand and then back on the shelf.  It just didn't wow me enough to buy another brown shade of polish.  Love your blog.  I always look SO forward to your NOTD!  Keep up the good work :~)

ReplyDelete
  17. I totally agree, I remember OPI collection for Alice in Wonderland, amazing glitters... and now this and Spiderman... Two great opportunities wasted. i didn't like Hunger Games collection very much, but at least there were no dupes hahaha
    I'm always complaining about the lack of a Harry Potter nail polish collection, but if they released something like this, I would be seriously upset!!! I think I have to do it myself lol
    And of course I'm happy the hoarder in you won so we can see the full colecction... but I think it's unfair, Orly should send you everything for review!!

ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the post--you just saved me $!  Mysterious Curse was the polish I was looking forward to most, but I already own Royal Velvet.  The only other that interests me is Buried Alive...Saving $ rocks, doesn't it?

ReplyDelete
  19. I actually got all of them, but I am in the same boat as you...not too impressed. I love Buried Alive, and Decades of Dysfunction is nice because I wasn't into polish when in was previously released.
    But, your swatches are beautiful, as always!

ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad you posted this!  The 2 I am interested in, I already have!

21. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Midtown Magic has a lot more black in it and the shimmer is very hidden. They aren't dupes, unfortunately!

22. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:45 AM

lol it was! I schedule my posts and blogger decided to post this one early!

23. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM

24. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM

thank you! I agree, when half the collection has already been done what's even the point of this collection

25. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Thanks! Glad you like them!!

26. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM

27. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I agree with you, it makes me happy that some of my favorite movies didn't have polish tie-in's...they seem to be disappointing most of the time

28. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM

woohoo!!

29. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Thank you!

30. thepolishaholicMay 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM

awesome! Money saved!!

31. LetthemhavepolishMay 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Sorry what? I fell asleep loool!

ReplyDelete
  32. this makes me sad. I was excited for this collection, but your post left me wanting more. don't take that the wrong way, your post was very helpful and great. it's the collection that left me wanting more, I expected it to be more unique. I'm not going to go out looking for it.
    your pics are great, they always are!

ReplyDelete
  33. This is one collection I just honestly wasn't very interested in... especially now knowing that 2 are colors they already had.  I MIGHT buy Buried Alive after seeing your pretty swatches.  I'll take this time to also lament the fact that the new movie looks like a comedy.  I'll probably still see it, but being a fan of the original show I was really disappointed to see how silly the trailers were.

I guess I just don't see why some of these collections don't reflect the movie they're promoting a bit better.  This one was close (vampy red, brown dirt type color), but fell short with the re-releases that don't really fit.  I actually think the Spiderman collection is a great one, with the giant exception being the lack of red and a random pink frost (seriously, what were they thinking with that??)

ReplyDelete
  34. I really like the brown, very interesting take on a brown shade I think!
    And I like the bloody looking red but I will not allow myself to purchase it because I think I have too many like it :P
    Wonderful swatches, thanks :)

ReplyDelete
  35. I'm pretty sure the red one is a dupe also of Orly Bus Stop Crimson.

ReplyDelete
  36. I think your swatches are great! I have to disagree with the Grave Mistake review. I have it on now and I think it is the perfect dark blood red. I have always wanted a color like this and have not been able get my hands on Essie Clutch Me If You Can. Try putting it on thicker or using 3 coats (just a thought). That will make it more bloodier, lol!

ReplyDelete
  37. This collection is a no go for me. Other than Buried Alive, the others are just so boring and repetitive. I kind of expected more since Dark Shadows is a Tim Burton movie, so Orly could have done so many awesome things with that. Oh well, my wallet is happy. Thanks for swatches!

38. I really like the brown... Makes me think of Root Beer. :D

ReplyDelete
  39. Two re-promotes is disappointing. And they JUST made Royal Velvet core... Sorry this collection made you feel like a hoarder xD

ReplyDelete
  40. I'm thinking of getting Buried Alive and Decades of Dysfunction. I've been on an off-white kick, I just ordered My Boyfriend Scales walls and bought NOPI's Others Pale by Kim-Parison.

ReplyDelete
  41. I'm kind of glad they're repromoting Pure Porcelain, because I wasn't into that kind of color at all back when that came out, and now I'm like, ooh, that's cute.

Buried Alive looks sooo cute.

ReplyDelete
  42. I found that Buried Alive stained really bad. I had 2 basecoats (Essie Fill the gap and Seche Clear) under it and my nails still ended up yellow :(

43.  :( They don't excite me either

ReplyDelete
  44.  Thank you! I agree with you :)

ReplyDelete
  45.  Next time I wear it I'll do that!

ReplyDelete
  46.  wow! I hate when that happens, I didn't have a problem with staining with Buried Alive. I used CND Toughen Up as my base, not sure if that's what made the difference

ReplyDelete
  47. I like that brown, and the other shades are pretty too but I think it's not so nice to re-release 2 shades!

ReplyDelete
  48. Buried Alive is the only one I might pick up.  I might not wear it much this summer, but it'll be great for fall!

ReplyDelete
  49. I'll probably pick up Buried Alive. I need a good brown and that one looks gorgeous :)

50. thesmalllittlethingsinlifeMay 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM

How lame is it to reuse same shades - do they not think we wouldn't notice! Annoying!

ReplyDelete
  51. Is it my imagination, or are most of the nail polish tie-ins to Johnny Depp movies?  Alice in Wonderland, Pirates of the Caribbean, Dark Shadows?  I'm pretty sure there was another, but I can't remember.

ReplyDelete
  52. *yawn*  So underwhelming.  I'm betting these will stay on shelves... reminds me of OPI's Go Goth! Halloween collection when every color but one was a re-promote and they never offered full sizes of the single new color.  It feels like all the colors but the brown have been done before.  So sad... I had high expectations of this little collection.

ReplyDelete
  53. I'll be buying Buried Alive and that's probably it!  It's the only unique color of the bunch.

ReplyDelete
  54. Buried Alive looks gorgeous!

ReplyDelete
  55. I don't know if I would pick up the whole collection but I really Buried Alive! Good fall color. :)

ReplyDelete
  56. Burried Alive is OK - but I am not too much into browns anymore at the time. I remember watching the very campy Dark Shadows TV soap that was on afternoons after I got out of school. I don't expect the movie to excite me anymore than this collection does.

ReplyDelete
  57. Buried Alive is the only one I am even interested in - but I am not into browns for a couple years other than a few in the fall - not enough to make me buy a brown polish right now. That's a problem with these movie tie in collections - the colors are not good for the time of yr - or if they are - they are forced and don't work like the OPI Muppets. Sad there are exact dupes in this one.

ReplyDelete
  58. i'm glad someone else noticed that they rereleased two of their own shades under different names. I'm really disappointed!!! I already have both though, so at least it saves me some money. But buried alive is so gorgeous! can't wait for it to be released here!

ReplyDelete
  59. I'm glad that you posted this, because I was waiting for the Mysterious Curse, but JUST bought Royal Velvet. Now I don't need both!

ReplyDelete
  60. in your opinion, what's the best top coat?

ReplyDelete
  61. Too bad they couldn't come up with anything more creative :( thanks for the swatches and comparisons though! I love your blog :)

ReplyDelete
  62. I have a few of my favorites listed in the FAQ section at the top of my blog :)

ReplyDelete
  63. Such a shame about this collection!

ReplyDelete
  64. How similar is the Mysterious Curse polish to the OPI Into the Night from the Spiderman collectin?

ReplyDelete
  65. they aren't very similar unfortunately, Mysterious Curse is purple with a strong blue shimmer and the OPI is just a navy blue shimmer

ReplyDelete
  66. I'm in love with ''Decades of Dysfunction''. Such a beautyful Colour!
    Btw. your Blog is really awesome! ♥

ReplyDelete
  67. i'd love to know if buried alive is similar to china glaze's goin my way? - do you have that one to compare them? it was the only one that interested me since the rest are easily dupable or already dupes of orly shades past i wondered if this was close to cg's gmw or if i need it!

ReplyDelete
  68. I don't own that China Glaze polish, sorry!

ReplyDelete
  69. Definitely boring. All those colors have been done. Very disappointed.

ReplyDelete
  70. Why even bother if they are going to make exact dupes? At least add glitter or something. Or dupe a color that was discontinued yrs ago or something. 2 thumbs down!! I do like the brown color but I bet you could find a dupe of that color from Zoya or Mac cuz I think I may have that color from those companies. Thx for sharing. They look great on your nails even if they are dupes. Thx.

ReplyDelete
  71. Such a shame about this collection!

72.  Thank you!

ReplyDelete
  73. I do like the idea of Decades of Dysfunction, but to know that it is aka Pure Porcelain takes away the dark element entirely.

ReplyDelete

Please make sure you are commenting in DISQUS. If you can see this message you aren't which means I cannot reply to any questions you have.

Please do not leave links to your blog in my comments. If you would like me to check out your blog please email me using the contact button in the sidebar.